Seoul Global Cultural Center has a special opportunity for foreign visitors to try on the Hanbok and take souvenir photographs at no cost. While many offer this experience, only a few offer it for free. So when we were recently in Seoul, of course we had to do it!
But first, what exactly is a Hanbok?
Hanbok is the traditional costume of Korea. It is often worn during traditional festivals and celebrations as semi-formal or formal wear.
Seoul Global Cultural Center does not accept reservations or advanced bookings for the Hanbok Experience. Basically, whoever comes first is the first one to be served. They do, however, have designated time slots which they will give you so that you won’t have to wait long for your turn. In our case, we went there on a Monday around 10 in the morning and next available slot was already 2 pm. We didn’t mind since my friend Kat and I were planning to shop and have lunch around Myeong-dong anyway.
We mainly went there for the free Hanbok experience, but it turned out to be more than just a stop for us. We did other activities at the center as well. On our first visit, we attended a DIY painting session where anyone of age can design and decorate Korean traditional bookmarks to take home. On other days, we went there for a pit stop after a long arduous day of walking around the city. We also often dropped by to use the coin lockers and their free WiFi. I think in our 5-day stay in Korea, we’ve managed to stop there for about 6-7 times.
A few things to take note of:
- Although Seoul Global Cultural Center is open until 7 pm, the cut off time to register for the Hanbok fitting is until 5 pm only.
- You’re only given 15 minutes to take pictures/selfies. The on-site staff will assist you with the Hanbok costume.
- There are selfie sticks and tripods and several backdrops available which you can freely use during your time.
- Slots are easily filled up so come as early as you can to get a time slot convenient for you.
- Make sure to visit on a weekday since it is available from Monday to Thursday during Spring/Summer season only.
HOW TO GET THERE:
Myeongdong Station (Seoul Subway Line 4), Exit 8.
– Turn left into the side road when you come out of the exit.
– Go straight until you reach M Plaza building on the left.
– Take the elevator/escalator all the way up to 5th floor.