With only a week left before my flight to Korea, I still hadn’t secured any accommodation. I was still undecided where to stay or which hostel to book. What’s worse is that I couldn’t find any hostels – that fits my budget and preferred location – because most of the good ones have already been booked by other guests.
So I was left with two options:
1. Sleep in one of the bunk beds in a mixed dorm
2. Pay more to stay in a standard hotel room
And because I didn’t want to shell out a big part of my budget just for lodging, I initially decided to go with the mixed dorm. It just doesn’t make sense to me to pay that much for a hotel room when I’m out during the day, right?
However, I’m not a fan of mixed dorms. By the way, I have no intentions to start a debate whether mixed dorms are appropriate for solo female travelers. It’s just a matter of personal preference. Also, I’m quite self-conscious. I’m afraid I might bother other people with the sounds I make at night (my friends tell me that I snore when I’m tired). So I ended up cancelling my reservation there and booked the pricier hotel room.
Thankfully, Namsan Gil House suddenly showed up in the suggestions while browsing for last-minute holiday deals. It was everything I was looking for in hostel: Clean, affordable and has private bedrooms and bathrooms for solo travelers like me. I quickly cancelled the reservations I made and booked myself a room in Namsan Gil House.
Here’s my honest review on the hostel:
– The living room serves as the dining area. It is where guests can enjoy meals together and get to know other people.
– The kitchen is open to everyone. They allow guests to cook and store food in the fridge. Just don’t forget to write your name.
– Brochures are displayed in the entryway shoe storage. You can get discounts on some of the establishments in Seoul.
VALUE FOR MONEY
– The hostel provides simple breakfast for their guests. (Coffee, bread, noodles and etc)
– Towel and Toiletries are provided as well. Just don’t forget to bring your own toothbrush!
– I got the deluxe room at 1000 pesos per night. It comes with your own private bathroom.**
HOSTEL/ ROOM CONDITION
– The deluxe room is very spacious. It was big enough for three people max.
– It also has Ondol – a traditional Korean Heating System that heats the floor.
– Each room has its own Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV and split type air conditioning.
– The hotel always looked clean and was well taken care of by the owners.
PHOTOS TAKEN FROM BOOKING.COM
– Namsan Gil House is located near Myeongdong shopping area and Namsan Tower.
– It is situated in a quiet neighborhood mostly occupied by foreigner-friendly hostels.
– Seoul Metropolitan Subway (Myeongdong station exit 4) is only 5 minutes away.
– Located in the heart of Seoul so its easy to get to other places.
If there’s one negative to say about Namsan Gil House, it’s the fact that its located up on a steep hill. Imagine hiking that paved hill after a long day of walking or with a heavy suitcase. I was always out of breath by the time I reach the hostel. It didn’t help that I obviously lacked exercise in my daily routine.
So if you’re prepared for that arduous walk and want a little exercise in your body, choose Namsan Gil House. Other than that, I have no problems with the hostel and would recommend it to friends and fellow travelers.
A few to things to take note of:
- Breakfast is available only from 7 to 11 in the morning. Dishes and utensils used should be washed by the guest.
- All garbage produced must be disposed properly. You need to separate all biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste.
- Shoes must be taken off and deposited in the shoe storage when entering the hostel. Guests are given house slippers.
- Get in touch with the hostel owners to notify your arrival or check-in time. You can reach them on LINE, WeChat or Viber.
Check this other hostel I stayed at in Seoul: Dongdaemun Hwa shin Hostel
From Incheon Airport
1. Take the Limousine Bus 6001 or 6015 from the airport and get off at Myeongdong station.
2. Once you see Pacific Hotel, you will see a crossroad. Just walk to the right and go straight.
3. You will see another crossroad, walk to the right until you see Namsan Gil House signboard.
Disclaimer: Video was sent to me by Namsan Gil House via facebook messenger when I asked for directions.
NAMSAN GIL HOUSE
Address: 79-3, Toegye-ro 18-gil, Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea
E-mail: email@example.com | Phone: +82 2-319-8500
Facebook Page: Namsan Gil House